Monday, April 14, 2008

Repetition, repetition, repetition...

Having gone on a hiatus and ben too busy with studio work to work on a new street piece, I have given a lot of thought to my distribution process. I have rarely put out more than a few copies of any one image that I make, which sort of defeats the purpose of doing a woodcut, or stencil. I am personally interested in uniqueness with the works, but I know that there is a certain facet of street art that derives a certain popularity from it's certainty. By certainty I mean that a good number of street artists repeat the same image ad infinitum and through the process of repetition the viewer gains a certain connection with being in the know of recognition. I think Shepard Fairey referred to an aspect of this when he referenced Phenomonology. I think people are comfortable with recognition, their is a safety in it.

Long story short, I have so much work sitting around, that I am going to do a little experiment and see what happens if I keep putting out work that I have been creating for a few years now. Over and over again. At least until it gets boring.

No comments: